5.17.2011

Posted by Jo W. in , , | 9:16 AM No comments
Remember that peculiar photo of ice cream ingredients from my ice cream sandwich post? Well, the green tea ice cream I made was vegan, adapted from a recipe in Veganomicon. I have a bunch of cookbooks that I haven't used much, so I am going to try some recipes from them this summer.

This recipe uses coconut milk and tofu. It's a lot healthier than ice cream made with egg yolks and heavy cream. This summer, I want to experiment with making vegan ice creams. Some recipes I've made in the past turned out too icy, watery, and too hard after freezing. This recipe was just okay; it could be better. Because of the coconut cream, it ended up with a coconut-y flavor, not surprisingly. It was also a bit icy, and the mouth feel wasn't what I wanted. I'll have to tweak this some more, or use a different method.


Here's the recipe, anyways. It gets pretty hard in the freezer, so just let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before scooping.


Vegan Green Tea Ice Cream
Adapted from Veganomicon


6 oz. silken tofu
1 cup non-dairy milk (I used soy)
1/2 cup coconut creme (see note)
1/2 cup sugar (I used turbinado)
1 Tbsp matcha powder

In a blender, blend all ingredients until completely smooth. Chill in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours. Churn in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Eat immediately for soft-serve consistency, or place in the freezer for a few hours to harden.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter