9.11.2010

Posted by Jo W. in , , , | 4:28 AM No comments
My friends and I were bored one day. So we decided to go to Georgetown and get cupcakes at Georgetown Cupcake. Unfortunately, we just had to go on a weekday, so when we got to the metro station, the parking lot was completely full. We were forced to park at a meter, which meant we had limited time to ride down to DC, get our cupcake, and get back before the meter expired. 
The metro stations in the vicinity of Georgetown Cupcakes are relatively far, so be prepared to walk. We got off at Foggy Bottom-GWU, and had to walk quite a few blocks. Alternatively, if you get off at Rosslyn, VA, you have to walk across the bridge to get to DC. Both stops are about the same distance away from GTC.

Cupcakes posed for photo shooting. A lot of the people in line were taking pictures.


When we finally got there, the line was out the door. It wasn't terribly long, and the wait was only about 10 minutes. Our wait was nothing compared to during peak hours.
While we were waiting in line, an employee was handing out copies of the menu. However, we weren't there for anything that was available on the menu. We heard through the grapevine that there was a
Super Secret cupcake only available through Super Secret means. When I got to the cashier, I indicated that I wanted the Super Secret cupcake. It turned out to be a Molten Lava cupcake, which was chocolate cake with melted chocolate in the center, with vanilla butter cream and chocolate drizzle on top.Yum. 
Lemon Berry and Super Secret





Note the price of the Super Secret
In my opinion,  cupcakes are overhyped. Are GTCs really good? Yes. Are they wait-over-30 minutes-in-line-and-pay-over-$2 good? No, not really. Especially when I can make my own cupcakes (see below). Still, it was fun going to Georgetown, even though we were a bit rushed to get back to the parking meter on time (we were a bit late, but didn't get a ticket). And the price of the Super Secret cupcake made it a pretty sweet deal.
  
Speaking of cupcakes, I made rainbow cupcakes to share with my friends when we went to Otakon. They were rather labour-intensive, as each colour had to be mixed and layered. I then swirled it around, and the effect was pretty darn awesome. And then I had to make them as gay as possible, so I topped them with sculpted fondant unicorns and rainbows. Hand-sculpting with fondant is pretty tough, so I only made two unicorns and about six rainbow ones. The rest just had rainbow sprinkles. I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out.   



Fondant isn't very tasty, so only part of the head was bitten off this unicorn. You can also see my rainbow and sprinkle-covered cupcakes in the box.
The recipes for the rainbow cupcakes, frosting, and homemade fondant are coming up in a later post, so stay tuned. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter