9.07.2010

Posted by Jo W. in , , , | 9:28 AM No comments
I've had some pictures left on the back burner that I never got to post. Among the many things I made over the summer, I made green tea ice cream.
I fell in love with green tea ice cream the first time I tried it. That was quite a few years ago, and I think I had it either in a Japanese restaurant or we bought a pint of Haagen Daz. Either way, green tea ice cream was a rare treat since it was hard to find in the grocery stores and we didn't frequent Japanese restaurants. Also, when I did find it in the freezer of an Asian store, the quality of the ice cream was sub par. It would either be icy or just off-tasting. Some had crap ingredients like Blue No. 1. Good green tea ice cream has the distinct taste of grassy matcha tea and the green color is purely from the tea. The flavour is pretty delicate, so it shouldn't be masked with any off flavours. The texture should have a rich mouth feel. This isn't a light, low fat ice cream.
Wish I could eat this right off the computer screen

The green tea ice cream I made was a custard based ice cream, meaning that there are eggs in it that thickens the base. That is how you make ice cream with a rich, creamy mouth feel. Yum. 
I also used a good quality matcha powder. Don't skimp on the powder, because it makes or breaks the ice cream.
Awesome ice cream making ingredients

What is unusual about this ice cream is that I used whole eggs, instead of just the yolks. Some custard ice creams have a scary amount of yolks, and I didn't want to have a ton of egg whites left over, so I just used the whole eggs.

Green Tea Ice Cream

1 cup milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 whole eggs
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp matcha powder

In a blender, blend the milk, eggs, sugar, and matcha powder together. Alternatively, whisk the ingredients very well in a large bowl. 
Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. Gently heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring very frequently. Keep an eye on the mixture, so that the bottom doesn't burn or boil over. Do NOT let it boil, you just want to cook it so that it thickens slightly. It will be done when the base is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon in an opaque layer. Chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours.

Had a little ice cream base left over

When the ice cream mixture is thoroughly chilled, churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacture's directions. I churned mine in my Cuisinart for about 25-30 minutes. When it is done, place the ice cream in the freezer to harden.
Go, ice cream maker, go!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter